* The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
* A coastal live oak located near Fulton is the oldest tree in the state. The tree has an estimated age of more than 1,500 years.
* The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.
* More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States.
* Port Lavaca has the world's longest fishing pier. Originally part of the causeway connecting the two sides of Lavaca Bay, the center span of was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961.
* The world's first rodeo was held in Pecos,Texas on July 4, 1883.
Today's Trivia :
What was the first word spoken from the Moon July20,1969?
Answer : "Houston"
What is the Official State Mammal of Texas?
Answer : The Armadillo.
----------------------------------------- and now for a bonus, a little humor.
Bin Laden's Afterlife Surprise
After getting nailed , Osama made his way to the pearly gates. There, he is greeted by George Washington.
"How dare you attack the nation I helped conceive!" yells Mr. Washington, slapping Osama in the face. Patrick Henry comes up from behind: "You wanted to end the Americans' liberty, so they gave you death!" Patrick Henry punches Osama on the nose. James Madison comes up next, and says, "This is why I allowed the Federal government to provide for the common defense!" He drops a large weight on Osama's knee.
Osama is subject to similar beatings from John Randolph of Roanoke, James Monroe and 65 other 18th-century American revolutionaries. As he writhes on the ground, Thomas Jefferson picks him up to hurl him back toward the gate where he is to be judged.
As Osama awaits his journey to his final very hot destination, he screams, "This is not what I was promised!"
An angel replies: "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for you. What did you think I said?
posted by Theo 5/3/2011