Disgruntled colonists meet to discuss government abuses
July 17, 1835
On this day in 1835, at the Lavaca-Navidad Meeting, an assembly of Jackson Municipality colonists gathered to discuss the growing list of grievances against the Mexican government of Antonio López de Santa Anna. The group met at William Millican's gin house, located on the Job Williams league some four miles northeast of Edna in Jackson County. The resolutions discussed, written, and ratified at the meeting in many ways anticipated the Texas Declaration of Independence, issued the following March. In 1936 the state of Texas erected a marker on the site of Millican's gin.
Galveston physicians found medical society
July 17, 1865
On this day in 1865, Greenville S. Dowell, a Virginia native born in 1822, and a group of local physicians formed the Galveston Medical Society. A few months later, in November, the trustees of Soule University organized Galveston Medical College, the first medical school in Texas, and Dowell was appointed professor of anatomy; he later served as professor of surgery and as dean of the college. The same year Dowell began making plans to publish the first medical periodical in Texas, the Galveston Medical Journal, which began publication in January 1866. When Soule University closed Galveston Medical College in 1873, Dowell and J. M. Callaway founded Texas Medical College and Hospital, where Dowell continued to teach surgery until his death in 1881.
Alamo savior dies
July 17, 1945
On this day in 1945, Clara Driscoll died in Corpus Christi. She was born in 1881 in St. Mary's, Texas. After almost a decade of study and travel abroad, she returned to Texas at the age of eighteen. From 1903 to 1905 she worked with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to acquire and preserve the Alamo by personally paying most of the purchase price. In 1906 she married Hal Sevier in New York City; in 1914 they moved to Austin, where he founded the Austin American and she directed construction of Laguna Gloria, a fine Italianate mansion located on the Colorado River. When the marriage was dissolved in 1937, Clara legally resumed her maiden name. During the next decade much of her time, energy, and money were devoted to historic preservation and civic betterment. In 1943 she presented Laguna Gloria to the Texas Fine Arts Association to be used as a museum.
posted by Jeff ~ 7.17.2011 The Texas State Historical Association