A&M College of Medicine opens its doors
August 22, 1977
On this day in 1977, the charter class entered the Texas A&M University College of Medicine. The school had its beginning in 1971, when the Texas legislature authorized the Texas College and University System Coordinating Board to designate a state institution of higher learning "for the establishment, operation, and maintenance of a medical school to be located at or in connection with any Veterans Administration facility that may be made available for that purpose." Two years later the Coordinating Board designated Texas A&M University as the state-supported university system to administer a program in medical education. Application was made to the Veterans Administration later that year, and announcement was made in 1975 of an award of $17,071,609 in support of the new program. Negotiations were completed with the Veterans Administration in Washington and with Scott and White Memorial Hospital in Temple for conduct of the newly funded program. The first class of thirty-two physicians graduated on June 6, 1981. In 1991 the board of regents of the Texas A&M University System established the Texas A&M University Health Science Center, with the College of Medicine as its initial focal program.
H&TC absorbs four other rail lines
August 22, 1901
On this day in 1901, the Houston and Texas Central Railway acquired the Austin and Northwestern, Central Texas and Northwestern, Fort Worth and New Orleans, and Granite Mountain and Marble Falls City lines. The H&TC was originally chartered in 1848 as the Galveston and Red River Railway and was renamed in 1856; Paul Bremond and Thomas W. House were involved in the line's early development. It was sold in 1877 to Charles Morgan, and then came under the control of the Southern Pacific when that corporation began to take over Morgan's properties in 1883. However, the H&TC continued to be operated by its own organization until 1927, when it was leased to the Texas and New Orleans. It merged with the T&NO in 1934.
Racially integrated art exhibition opens in Texas
August 22, 1971
On this day in 1971, one of the first racially integrated exhibitions of contemporary artists in the United States opened in the remodeled De Luxe Theater in Houston. The exhibition began at a time of nationwide controversy about opportunities for black artists. It was sponsored by the Menil Foundation of Houston and curated by Peter Bradley, an associate director of the Perls Galleries in New York. With the help of the Rice University Institute for the Arts, Bradley transformed the old movie house into a showplace for nineteen contemporary artists. More than 1,000 people attended the opening to view Bradley's works, as well as those of Virginia Jaramillo, Ed Clark, Larry Poons, Jules Olitski, William T. Williams, Sam Gilliam, and others. More than 4,000 people had attended the exhibit when it closed on September 29. The theater continued to display examples of African Art for three years, and served as a gallery for the Black Arts Center until 1976.
posted by Jeff - 8.22.2011 The Texas State Historical Association
Post a Comment